I got a Kobo mini two years back for $50, during limited discount sale in USA. I love the reader and use it often. It came with 2GB memory, out of which about 1.3 GB was usable for storing books.While this is enough to hold everything you can read in your lifetime in ePub format, but I still wanted to extend the storage to store more stuff.
Hacking Kobo mini is very easy. Here is what you need.
- Kobo mini indeed
- A Micro SD card. I used 8GB card.
- SD card reader. You cannot insert card in a device and use the Mass storage mode.
- Disk imaging software.
- Partition extender software.
The steps are very easy.
Disassemble the Kobo mini: After removing the back cover of Kobo Mini, you need to take out the screws.
SD Card : The book reader has SD card in it for storage & the OS for book reader. we need to clone this sd card on a new one.
Cloning and partitioning : Now, you need to do two steps.
1. Clone the Kobo SD card to new card with larger size. Link on how to clone an SD card.
2. Extend the partition using mini partition tool. Link on how to extend tool.
Done! After you are done with cloning and partition extension, insert the new SD card and enjoy.
Hope you enjoyed the hack